Only swinging bells create a resonant and musical sound. However, swinging bells transmit considerable forces into the towers, which are often close to the towers’ natural frequencies and thus cause excessive dynamic stress.
Ringing of bells, which is close to the resonance, can cause damage over the years and decades. Structural dynamic analyses of existing towers are therefore recommended if structural damage already exists, if strong tower movements are observed or if a tower is to be provided with new bells or a new peal.
We provide consulting services on all these issues. As a result of our analyses and interpretations we prepare data sheets that allow immediate further processing by the bell founder or the structural engineer. We also carry out analyses of the sound of bells including determination of the partial tones and their decay behavior.
- Survey of the dynamic properties of the tower and the excitation by the peal of bells, particularly with regard to existing tower vibrations or damage.
- With regard to bell ringing music and structural dynamics aspects: design of an optimized harmonization of the peal of bells to the tower and indication of all necessary measures as well as of all forces that have to be transferred.
- Concept for the refurbishment of tower and bell supporting structure including construction and analysis.
- With regard to bell ringing music and structural dynamics aspects: harmonization of the peal of bells to the tower, arrangement of the peal of bells in cooperation with the authorized expert.
- (Assistance for) design of the supporting structure of tower and bell supporting structure, construction, analysis and verification.
DIN 4178 requires a dynamic analysis for the construction of new bell towers.