Precise and reliable production of rotor blades is essential for the quality of the blades and thus for the service life and the possible energy yield of a wind turbine. Due to the high level of manual labor in the production process, the rotor blades often have defects which can develop into serious damage during operation. According to estimates by experts, approx. 4 out of 5 damage events in the field are related to the production process. As independent experts we perform inspections during blade production directly at the manufacturer’s site on behalf of the operator and prepare a complete documentation of any deviations in quality.
Our TPI concept has proven itself in practice and has already been a great support for many operators. It consists of three complementary elements:
- General supervision of blade production within the scope of process audits
- Specific supervision of blade production for specific customer projects according to our witness point concept
- Factory Acceptance Test: The project rotor blades are thoroughly tested from the inside and outside, including lightning protection system and all mounting parts.
During operation, the high loads acting on the rotor blades lead to damage which for the most part originates already during blade manufacture. Therefore, recurrent inspections during operation are essential to detect possible damage at the rotor blades as early as possible and to ensure the highest possible blade quality.
Our team of inspectors provides the following services for you – onshore and offshore:
- Recurrent inspection on the wind turbine
- External inspections of the rotor blade
- Internal inspections including camera inspections
- Lightning protection measurements
- Further inspections as required (e.g. thermography)
- Inspection before warranty expiration (generally after five years offshore, complete inspection of the blades including lightning protection system)
- Supervision of repairs
- Comprehensive documentation (incl. expert report on the rotor blade, expert report on the damage detected)
"The cooperation between WindMW and Wölfel Engineering GmbH + Co. KG, was - beside the professional working relationship - constructive, fruitful and always in a considerate manor at any time.
The availability and short reaction period of inspection capacities provided Wölfel Engineering GmbH + Co. KG to the OWF Meerwind Süd/Ost project, was remarkable."